Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chef Michael Smith

When I was on maternity leave with Maddy, I became familiar with the Food Network and have been hooked ever since.  When there is nothing on TV (and I actually have the remote) it is usually tuned into Channel 1706 (HD Food Network on Bell TV).  I don't really care for the shows that are competitions, like Chopped, Iron Chef and such but I like the oldies and one of my faves: Chef Michael Smith.

A few years ago, my friend Josee and I met him in Ottawa at the Tulip Festival.  It was soooo hot that day, we had our cake decorating class that morning then we parked and walked down to meet him.  We found him right away and were like little 12 years old spotting Justin Beiber or something...we were pushing each other, telling one and another "you go" - "no, you go" and finally, we did it!  
Stalking him...lol
 We casually walked over then tried to take some pictures from afar, then decided - what the hell, like he's going to see us again and went in.  We spoke to him for like 5 mins and then his assistant took a picture of us:



We wanted to get it signed, so we flew over to the Rideau centre and got the picture developed so we could take it back and get it signed.  When we went to him the second time, we were even more shy...he was stunned when he saw the picture and was like "hey, we just took this" and signed our pictures for us!  Aaahh...memories!



His show THEN was called Chef at Home where he would cook from his kitchen and most of the time, he made his meals for his wife Racheal and his son Gabe - who he talked about all the time.  

Chef at Home still airs but they are just re-runs, but Chef Michael Smith now has a new show called Micheal's Kitchen...

Yesterday, Josee was looking for a recipe and came across some articles from PEI (where Michael Smith lives) and much to our surprise, apparently him and Racheal have split and this is what happened to him this past June:



You can read the article here - but apparently, he divorced Racheal - has a new girlfriend - Chasity and now has a new baby!  Who knew! I am thinking that is why he has a new show - and a new kitchen...cuz he has a new life!!

8 comments:

Shannon said...

I was wondering why he had a new kitchen!!!! Weird!!

Sarah said...

Interesting! I watch his cooking shows too lol
I wonder if the new girlfriend worked the show Chef at home - like an assistant or something adn that how they met...hmmmm

Jill said...

Huh! I saw on his Twitter feed that he'd had a baby this summer, but I never questioned who the mother was, I just assumed it was the wife on his show! lol! I had also heard he had a new show coming out - now it all makes sense!

Anonymous said...

So Michael Smiths " chef at home " show had a theme song " you can do it tooo" that singer is no other than his current girlfriend.

http://taniahaas.com/portfoliocpt/interview-with-tv-chef-michael-smith-hellocanada/

Anonymous said...

i thought so new kitchen and you could visibly see that he wears his wedding ring on opposite fingers... good for him for moving on :)

Anonymous said...

I always got the impression that Rachael was gay. She always seemed to be away at some yoga retreat of some kind. Pardon my gaydar but the jean jackets etc. set it off in a big way. I'm sorry if I'm mistaken but somehow I doubt it. Just sayin.

Anonymous said...

Why would you divorce you wife, date a girl and have sex with her, have a baby and not be married with her. I dislike him for doing that. I don't know I feel so much less respect for him.

Adrienne Coleman said...

Today I was watching Chef at Home. The next show was Chef Michael's Kitchen and noticed right off that he wasn't wearing his wedding ring and thought hmmm. So I googled him and was directed to this blog. I too, am disappointed that Michael, Rachel and Gabe are no longer together. They seemed like a happy, well-settled and loving family. I adored his pantry with dry ingredients in mason jars. Seeing as how I shall never meet the man, it's his life.